Search this blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

Mason Jar Ideas



Upon learning I was pregnant with our 4th child, it became clear that we needed to move from our very small, 2 bedroom bungalow, to our current 4 bedroom home.  My history with this house started long before I actually lived here though.  My home was built by my great-grandfather somewhere between 1910-1920.  The house was sold to a pair of rich sisters that wanted to live out in the country (at the time this was a very rural area, but not so much now).  When my father was young my grandparents bought the house back and my father grew up here.  My grandmother continued to live here until 2 years ago when she decided that it was just too much house for her anymore.  Now I live here with my family.  This house has seen 4 generations of this family living in it and is filled to the brim with hidden treasures.  Since we moved in, we have been slowly cleaning everything out.   It is a long, slow process. It's OK though, it is so worth it to have the privilege of living here.


My husband's current project is cleaning out the garage.  Like I said, long and sloooow process.  So anyway, a few weeks ago he came and asked me if I wanted some old jars.  I admit, I didn't pay much attention at the time.  I think I just shrugged and went back to whatever it was I was doing.  Then one day I was standing in my kitchen and noticed all these boxes out on the kids wagon.  Curiosity got the best of me and I went out to look.  There were about 4 boxes of jars like the one pictured out there.  I gasped!  Blue mason jars.  Be still my beating heart!  I was in love.  I quickly pulled out a few to take in and wash up.



This one is my favorite.  It even has a glass lid that goes to it.  Can you see the date on this one?  July 14, 1908.  Gorgeous!


After washing them up I set them in my kitchen window.  I have been looking for creative ways to display them, but to be honest, I think they are pretty outstanding all on their own. 
Um, pay no attention to my spotty window.  It is clean on the inside, I swear!
















Be sure to join me on Pinterest for more great mason jar ideas!  How would you use them?  I would love to hear from you with some of your ideas.  


post signature


2 comments:

  1. I had noticed all of your jar pins. You lucky girl!!! And BLUE to boot!

    (Do you actually can, too?? Or just decorate?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have canned, but only at the old house. I haven't been motivated to do it here, freezing is so much easier. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers