Search this blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Faith Journey # 10 - Heaven's Better Than Disney World

 
Welcome back to The Faith Journey. This Sunday series is about my faith walk, and the things the Lord is teaching me along the way. I am always so happy that you are here! I hope you will continue to join me on this journey and grow in your faith as well.
 
 
This past fall we went to Disney World. You can read more about that trip here. It was a magical day for my four oldest children. Upon entering the park we were greeted by singing characters, girls dressed as princesses, and boys dressed as pirates. Even adults were spotted all around the park sporting Disney gear. It was obvious that no one could really contain their excitement about being in this amazing place. We stayed until closing that day and watched the electric parade, light shows on the castle, and fireworks. I will never forget the gasps of excitement from Pumpkin as Cinderella rode by in her carriage and turned and waved right at us. The Ooo's and Ahh's from my boys echo in my memory as the ash from the fireworks poured down upon us. Watching Tinker Bell fly out of the castle during the impressive firework show was the icing on the cake. After we arrived home I knew that this would be a trip to remember.  The pleas to go again sometime soon indicated that it had indeed been a magical place.  For my children it had been the most exciting place they have ever gone. That is why the following story was so touching to me.
My grandmother's passing raised many questions about heaven with my children, Bud in particular. I tried my best to explain the heaven of Revelations 21, to my 5 year old son, telling him that it is the place where God lives.  Describing the beauty of it and assuring him that there will be no more sadness and tears.  As I talked to him, his face crinkled in concentration as he tried to absorb everything I was saying.  Finally his face lit up as he exclaimed, "Heaven's better than Disney World!"  Somewhat taken aback by this declaration, I agreed with him, "Yes, I believe it will be much better than Disney World!"
As I sat thinking on this conversation, I actually felt ashamed of myself.  Why isn't my enthusiasm for Heaven as great as his?  Is it the cynical nature of this world that has made me apathetic towards the Holy Kingdom?  Surely as the educated adult I should be even more excited to go to a place such as Heaven!  So why does it take the words of my 5 year old son to make me appreciate the splendid place that the Lord is preparing for me?  Suddenly I found myself desiring to go; wanting to see it all myself and experience everything John describes and more!
The Lord does work through even the youngest to awaken us and reveal our sinfulness.  I am so grateful that he stirred this new found desire within me.  I pray that as I study more about this Holy Place that my joy and enthusiasm will continue to grow so that I may wait for it with expectation and anticipation, just as a child waits to go to Disney World.

 
 
 
post signature

1 comment:

  1. :) ...faith like a child!

    I do like this Sunday series of yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers