Search this blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Favorite Allergy Friendly Treat

A rice cake with sunbutter and sliced strawberries - Sunbutter and Jelly - an allergy free twist on the classic peanut butter and jelly @ATIPicalDay #snacks #breakfast #ricecakes #recipe #sunbutter #strawberries #TheVirginDiet


It has been such a long time since I blogged anything, and I felt it was high time I jumped back in the saddle!  I am the Popcorn Kernel (a.k.a. fundraising chair) for our Cub Scout Pack as well as the Committee Chairperson. It sucks up a lot of time in the fall, which is why I have been away from my blog for so long. Things are slowing down a little bit now, and I am excited to share some new things with you.
As you know, I have been doing The Virgin Diet.  Since my start I have lost 25lbs and feel amazing!  For about 2 months before I had started the diet, I had zero energy, and I was often finding myself in the bathroom immediately after dinner.  This was happening so often that I was having to cancel plans and avoid making new ones.  I haven't had any problems of this nature in months now!  It is so freeing to know that I am in control of my health! 
My husband was so impressed with the results that I was getting that he decided to join me in this new life style.  He has also lost 20+ pounds and has cleared up a few of his own health problems.  If you have not read The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days by JJ Virgins, please pick up a copy!  It is so worthy of a read!


I was a healthy eater before.  My diet contained plenty of low fat meat, fruits, veggies, yogurt, whole grain breads, and cheese. The thing I was missing was that many of the ingredients in these foods didn't agree with my body.  The symptoms are subtle and sneak up on you over time.  If you are not paying attention, you can easily miss that it is your food that has caused the problem!


One of the biggest questions I get asked is, "what can you eat?  You took out everything good!"  The truth is that there is really a healthy substitute for pretty much everything!  I am going to be sharing some of my favorites over the next few entries.  These are things that anybody can try, even if you aren't doing the diet.  You might find a new healthy snack or recipe that you love!  :)



You know I am all about the non recipe recipes, and this one is no different!  It is my Sunbutter and "Jelly" sweet treat.  This is a great substitute if you are having a hankering for peanut butter and jelly.  There are several adaptions that can be made to this to customize it to your taste preferences.

You will need:

Gluten Free Rice Cake such as Lundberg's Organic Brown Rice Cakes.  These can be found in the health food section of most grocery stores.
Sunbutter or Nut Butter of your Choice.  I use Sunbutter found at my local grocery store.  It is made from sunflower seeds and is very allergy friendly.  Almond butter works well too.
Fresh Berries - I love strawberries, but whatever kind you like will work well.
Cinnamon
Spread the Sunbutter on the rice cake and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.  Add fresh berries to the top.  Delicious!  I often eat this in place of dessert or as an afternoon snack.
Enjoy!
post signature
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1 comment:

  1. I thought you looked quite a bit thinner the last time we passed! (It is so hard not being able to sit and talk more!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers