Search this blog

Monday, February 24, 2014

Brown Rice Pasta with Mushroom Florentine Sauce


When I began The Virgin Diet, I though I would never eat pasta again (or at least not very often)!  I was bummed because it is one of my very favorites.  You can imagine my elation when I discovered Brown Rice Pasta!   While it's flavor is slightly more bland than your typical pasta noodle, it is an excellent substitute for those unable to eat egg, corn, or gluten.  The bland favor can be remedied by cooking in salt water or chicken broth.  If you are really opposed to the brown rice pasta, you could also try this sauce over spaghetti squash or a quinoa pasta.

My next challenge was a sauce.  Most jar sauces contain both soy and sugar, both things I try to avoid.  So my best option became making my own.  I have discovered that not only is making my own sauce super easy, it is crazy good.  The best part is that I can flavor it anyway I want!

Generally I will use organic crushed tomatoes and build my sauce from there by adding garlic, onions, and veggies (you can use just about any that sound good to you).  Adding veggies to your pasta sauce is a great way to get your kids to eat them!  You could also adapt it by adding some ground turkey, beef or fresh sausage.  All are amazing flavors with this.  If you try it let me know!  I would love to learn how you are "mixing it up" ❣



Brown Rice Pasta with Mushroom Florentine Sauce

Print this recipe

1 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Cloves Crushed Garlic
1 Cup Diced Onion
1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
1 Cup Frozen or Fresh Spinach
1 15 oz. Can Organic Crushed Tomatoes
1-2 Packets Stevia
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
1/2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tsp Salt (adjust to your taste preference)
1 Package Brown Rice Pasta (I like Tinkyada) cooked following package directions

1.  Over med-high heat saute onion, and mushrooms in olive oil until cooked through and slightly brown.
2.  Add garlic and spinach to pan and stir often until spinach cooks down.
3.  Carefully drain your pan if there is liquid from the spinach.
4.  Add next 5 ingredients and simmer on low for 5-10 minutes.
5.  Pour over your drained pasta and serve.



Thanks for joining me!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of rice pasta before. I wonder if my hubby would be able to tell the difference...lol. I've tried wheat pasta and he hated it :-(
    Would love for you to linkup tomorrow for the Let's Get Real Blog Hop at 5pm EST. mypinterventures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erlene, Brown Rice Pasta tends to be a little mushers than traditional pasta, and maybe a little bit more bland. Both can be remedied by under cooking and adding plenty of salt to your water (a really great sauce helps too). If you don't tell him he may not notice! ;) Good luck! Thanks for the invite to link up. I will be there!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers