Search this blog

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Being a Proverbs 31 Woman Vs 18 "Perseverance"- The Faith Journey # 25


The Faith Journey - little girl looking down a road with hands on her hips
"She sees that her trading is profitable,

    and her lamp does not go out at night." - Proverbs 31:18 (NIV)



Tonight we are back into Proverbs 31 to see what else we can learn about this woman.  As I read verse 18 one word comes to mind.  
Perseverance.

She works hard at her business to make sure it is beneficial.  She will stay up late into the night to make sure it all gets done.  There is no question that this woman is a hard worker.  She knows her calling and she will not give up until the task is done.

Thinking about my own life, I wonder what my own calling might be.  One thing that comes to mind is being a parent.  When my husband and I started having children, we never imagined we might someday have five.  
The Lord knew though.  He had it all planned and called my husband and I to be the parents of these beautiful, wonderful children.  

We are called to raise them in the knowledge and love of the Lord Jesus Christ.  We are called to care for their young hearts and minds and to protect them from the harshness of this world.  They are my first and probably most important mission field.

Parenting in general can be a challenge.  There are times that can leave you raising your fists to the heavens saying, "Why did you do this to me?".  During those moments you just want to throw in the towel and walk away.  But we preserver.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." - James 1:2-5 (NIV)

During this next week, answer these questions.  What is my calling?  What all does this involve?  How do I see the Lord already fulfilling this in me?  Once you have answered these questions, pray for joy and strength to carry you through during those times when you are ready to quit. 


You can read the rest of Proverbs 31 series here.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

18 comments:

  1. Stopping by today from BoB group on fb, I thought I was already following your lovely blog, but now I am for sure via bloglovin.
    I never thought I'd have four kids, but I do! And yes, it is tough, but it's also rewarding. Great post today...It really got me thinking. I grew up in a religious home, yet I'm not so religious much myself anymore. Lots of great reads you've given here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for the sweet comment and for following. :) One thing I like about the Proverbs 31 woman is that even though she is biblically based, even those who are not religious can find value and encouragement in her actions. She applies truths that can teach all of us. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post that really has me thinking. I think God's calling for me is to have my precious children and raise them in God's words. I never would've thought I would have children but they are such a blessing and really helped me find what is really important in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Louida! I think children are the greatest gift ever! :D

      Delete
  3. Great Post and got me thinking as well. Glad to be following

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you got something out of it.

      Delete
  4. I've often wondered what my purpose on this earth is. I still have no clue but, I am certain it has to do with my sons :-) Thought provoking post. Thank you Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the purpose of these posts, to cause us to stop, think, and reflect. So glad it did that for you. I think we all have many purposes in this world, but yes children are very important!

      Delete
  5. Great post. Sometimes it is not to question why we are here and what our purpose is but to believe that we are here for some reason that we may never really understand and have faith that we are put on this earth for some purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point Marlys! I agree sometimes we get too caught up in wanting to know the "why's" of life. Sometime it is good to just sit back and know that God is in control! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm bookmarking this so I can read it at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post Meredith - quite thought provoking. Sometimes we do not learn what our purpose was but somewhere along the way we have touched peoples lives in ways we may never know... I do know that one of my purposes was to be the best Mother I could to my sons and the best Grandmother I can be to my grandchildren. We must believe that with God's help we will truly achieve what it is He has set us on this earth for... Thank you Meredith.... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. That was beautifully said.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful reminder Meredith. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written, Meredith. May the kindness and the testimony you give continue to ripple without end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! That is beautiful! You should be a poet! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers