Search this blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Preparing a Summer Reading List

 
     Summer is quickly approaching and I, like most homeschooling parents, have started the daunting task of curriculum planning for next year.  Included in this is our summer reading list.  In previous years I did not push this with my kids.  I usually just asked them to read something anything just so they would be reading.  I do not feel this worked well for my boys.  Summer is busy and filled with travel.  Trying to keep track of their reading was a serious chore.  On top of that, one of my boys only reads Lego magazines or Marvel comics.  Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that he is reading, but I would like to see more variety in what he is reading. 
     My friend Dorie at Homeschooling Just Next Door recently posted two great lists of books her children will be reading over the summer.  This one is for boys and this one is for girls.  I was curious as to how she would handle this situation.  I wondered if she just assigned books for her children to read or if she let them pick.  So I asked her.  She gave some great pointers here.
     After reading what Dorie had to say, and giving this a lot of thought, I have decided for this summer I am going to assign reading for my boys.  My plan is to give them a list of books with varying topics and let them choose what they want to read off the list.  I feel like this will encourage them to read more, but still allow them to choose what they want to read.  My next challenge is figuring out how to track what they read.   I am working on a printable for this that I hope will work well.  Once I get it finished I will share it with you along with the list of books I am giving my boys.

How do you handle summer reading with your family?
post signature
 

 
 

5 comments:

  1. I really don't require my children to read in the summer. We do however always go for "no-TV" summers. They usually just gravitate towards reading something. . . When there is "nothing else" to do! Life to the full! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,

      Thanks for visiting! I love the idea of a "No TV" summer. We actually would need to make it a "no screen time" summer here! ;) Thanks for sharing that idea.

      Delete
  2. Huh! I never considered a no-TV summer like Melissa.

    I think I may offer M a selection of titles to chose from this summer, too. Though I do suspect she'll finish the Little House series this summer... (Not bad, but variety can be good!)

    I have compiled the list of my friends' recommendations for chapter books. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! http://www.thissimplehome.com/2013/05/books-for-advanced-readers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for putting that all together Annette! It is a great post!

      Delete
  3. I encourage our grandchildren to read in the summer. :-) thank you for sharing the hop with your readers and for joining in the fun xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers