Search this blog

Monday, October 21, 2013

The Faith Journey #14 - Trusting God to Answer Prayers.



Welcome back to The Faith Journey. This Sunday series is about my faith walk, and the things the Lord is teaching me along the way. I am always so happy that you are here! I hope you will continue to join me on this journey and grow in your faith as well.



Glancing up at the sky, I realize that it was getting ready to rain.  I hurry into the house carrying Baby and hanging onto Pumpkin's hand.  As I put Baby down I say to Pumpkin, "Mommy has to run back outside and get the stroller before it rains.  You guys stay in here, and I will be right back."
I run out the backdoor and quickly close up the stroller.  Glancing up I can see Pumpkin peering out the glass at me.  She smiles and waves then turns away from the door as I wrestle the double stroller up the back steps.  As I push my way back into the house I hear myself mumble, "look out girls."

Picking up Baby, I walk back into our front hall stopping along the way to pick up some cash so we can go grab some dinner.  Glancing up, I realize I have left the front door standing open, key still in the lock.  A small chill runs up my spin, I shake it off and push the door shut, throwing my keys on the front table.  "Pumpkin, please go get some socks and a different pair of shoes," I say while fumbling with the money.  No response. I glance up and realize Pumpkin is no longer standing with me.  I start up the stairs shouting for her, but she doesn't answer me.  Glancing back at the door, another shiver runs down my spine.  Did she go outside?  I shout for her again, but there is still no answer.  Walking back down the steps I take a quick peek out the door and can see Perry and my brother crossing the street.  I shout out to them, "Is Pumpkin with you guys?"
Confusion crosses both of their faces.  I can tell right away that they haven't seen her. 

 I run back in the house, a small knot forming in the pit of my stomach.  Flying up the steps I am screaming her name at the top of my lungs.  Still no answer.  Running through her room, my room, and then down the hallway I am continuing to call for her.  I quickly run through the whole house.  Perry is right on my heels calling her as well.  My brother takes off down the street calling for her.  Within minutes my parents, whom live across the street, are aware of my rising panic and are out searching too.  After close to 10 minutes of searching our house, and the neighborhood, my dad turns to me and says, "I am calling the police."  My heart stops. I feel as though someone has their hand around my throat and is trying to choke the life right out of me.  Dear Jesus, this can't be happening.  Please Lord protect her, whereever she is, protect her.  Please reveal her to me.  Let us find her Lord.  Please let us find her.   Even as I am praying these words a dark voice is whispering in my ear, "You will never find her...she is gone...she is gone.  HE isn't going to answer your prayers this time."  Pushing the voice away I run back upstairs again.  She has to be here!  She just has to be!  "Pumpkin!  If you are hiding, you need to come out right now!  This is not funny!"  I am checking cabinets, looking under beds, blankets and piles of clothes.  I can hear my dad downstairs opening doors and calling her name.  I can hear my mom and brother outside calling her name as they continue to search the neighborhood.  Where is she Lord?  She is only three years old!  Please Jesus, PLEASE where is she?  Again I can hear the voice, "Do you really think he is going to help you?  You are a terrible mother!  You lost your child!  He isn't going to help you!"  Shaking it off, I am fighting tears.  Suddenly I realize that my husband doesn't know what is going on.  Oh LORD, I don't want to make this call.  With shaking hands I dial his number and swallow hard before trying to explain to him what is happening.  I know he is going to feel helpless since he is over three hours away at our family cabin.  He takes the news like I have just hurled a bowling ball into his gut. 

"Meredith, the police are here."  Flying down the steps, I promise to call him back as soon as I know anything.  Bursting through the door I am still looking up and down the street hoping to see her.  I am explaining to the officers where I had seen her last, I pull out my phone.  "Here is a picture of her from earlier today, " I say.  "She is such a cute little girl."  A huge lump has formed in my throat and I can no longer talk.  I run my finger across the picture now on my phone screen.  "Where are you?" I ask it.

The officers quickly come up with a plan.  One sets off to search the neighborhood, the other heads into the house with me to search it again.  My heart is beating so loudly I am sure they must be able to hear it.  Together the officer and I search the house.  My father, brother, and Perry are all searching different areas of it as well.  The whole time I am silently praying.  The voice which was a whisper  previously now feels like it is a siren inside my head.  "WHY ARE YOU STILL PRAYING?  HE WON'T ANSWER YOU!"  I cover my ears as if it will somehow block the voice in my head.

The K-9 unit pulls up in front of the house. They are trying to decide if they should get the dogs out of the car yet.  The K-9 officer suggests we search the house one last time, all of us together.  As I turn to walk back into the house I notice Perry sitting on the step.  He is pale and I can tell he is fighting back tears.  I grab his shoulders and say, "Pray, just pray!  WE ARE GOING TO FIND HER!  Pray that it is quickly and that she is safe."  Shaking his head the tears start to stream down his face.  He bows his head and his lips silently begin to move.  As he does, I echo his prayers, this time truly believing that they will be answered.  The voice is gone, all I hear is the sounds of 3 officers, my dad, and brother searching my home.  I am feeling continued panic, yet I am also feeling hope.  Lord, show us where she is, please Lord.  Let her be well, let her be safe, and allow us to find her quickly!  I am praying nonstop now, and believing we will somehow find her.

 I have made my way through searching the entire downstairs and have headed back upstairs.  I move back into Pumpkin's room.  I pick up her blankets on her bed.  I push the bed to the side and look under it.  I open the closet and move items around.  I glance under the crib and in the dresser drawers.  At this point I am ruling nothing out.  I look in the toy bins and even throw some out onto the floors just in case she is under them.

As I leave the room my dad heads in to look again.  I walk down to the laundry room and open the washer and dryer.  I look behind them.  I can hear the officers calling her name up in the attic.  My brothers voice calling her is echoing up from downstairs.  Lord, please let her be alright. I close my eyes and stand still out in the hallway.  I feel one of the officers walk by me towards her room.  He comes back out and walks down the stairs.  I hear another officer enter her room from the bathroom.  Suddenly he stops moving, I hear him say, "Pumpkin?" in what is almost a whisper.  I spin around and rush back into the bedroom.  The officer is standing there shining a flashlight at her pillow.  I hear him say, "Ma'am is this hers?" 
 "Yes, that's her bed." I say confused. 
"No, behind it, is that her?" 
I look again and sitting on the floor behind her bed I can see the top of a blond head.  I jump across the bed and grab my sweet daughter.  "OH THANK YOU LORD!  BABY GIRL, DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT TO ME AGAIN!"  I scream as I burst into tears.  I am clutching my child with tears streaming down my face.  All the emotion I have been fighting suddenly releasing.  Even as I sit on her bed clutching her my mind is trying to comprehend what has just happened.  How could she have been there the whole time?  I had looked there, more than once!  The officers had looked there, my son, my brother, and my dad all had looked there...over and over... so where did she come from?  How did she get there?  Holding her I realize that she is clutching me, but she also seems lifeless, as if she is asleep.  I look down at her and her eyes are open, but she isn't talking to me or looking around at anyone in the room.  One of the officers says, poor thing must have fallen asleep, look at her! 

Carrying her down the stairs with me I am crying and thanking the officers for their help.  I am also thanking God for this miracle!  I don't know if she was there the whole time, or if somehow the Lord placed her there so we could find her.  I just know that this is 100% the Lord's grace.  I can tell that even the officers are somewhat confused but relieved. 

I have just lived the most frighten experience of my life.  I know that the Lord has undoubtedly answered my prayers.  I know that I never want to experience this again.  I am so grateful for his mercy and grace.  My heart goes out to every parent that has ever been through this, and even more to those who had a much different ending.


Below are some verses that show that God does indeed answer our prayers when we believe and ask.  I share these verses tonight, because I do believe a miracle occurred yesterday, and I believe that God heard my cry and answered them. 

Matthew 21:22

New International Version (NIV)
22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

Mark 11:24

New International Version (NIV)

24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Hebrews 4:16

New International Version (NIV)

16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

1 John 5:14-15

New International Version (NIV)
14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
To some, these verses may make Him sound like a genie in a magic lamp, and that is just not the case.  There are restrictions on his Grace.

 

1) We must believe

Mark 9 tells how Jesus heals a boy that is possessed by a demon. 

Mark 9:21-23

New International Version (NIV)
21 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”
“From childhood,” he answered. 22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”

 

2. We must earnestly seek Him

Hebrews 11:6

New International Version (NIV)
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

3.  We must ask in the name of Christ

John 14:13

New International Version (NIV)
13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

4. We must confess our sins


Psalm 66:18

New International Version (NIV)
18 If I had cherished sin in my heart,
    the Lord would not have listened;

 

5.  We must live for the Lord


Proverbs 28:9

New International Version (NIV)

If anyone turns a deaf ear to my instruction,
    even their prayers are detestable.

 


6.  We must be doing his will.

John 9:31

New International Version (NIV)
31 We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will.
I confess that at moments during this desperate hour in my life, I allowed those dark thoughts to creep into my mind.  But in the end, my faith in the Lord won out and I truly believed he would help us.
Does this make me a better Christian than someone else?  Does it mean that I can pray for a million dollars and He will provide it?  No, I don't believe either are true.  I believe that in this case, I truly believed we would find my daughter.  I believe that it was within the will of the Lord to do so, and I believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior and I can trust in Him.  I believe that all these things combined is what allowed us to find my daughter.
I know to some this may sound silly because she was there the whole time right?  But was she?  I mentioned that I, as well as numerous others, had looked in that spot numerous times and she wasn't there before, and suddenly, there she was.  She told me that a man played toys with her and took her for a ride in his car.  That he had a daughter that died and now he told her that now he has a new one.  How does a three year old come up with that on their own? If what she says she experienced is true, how did she get back in her room?   I don't understand it, and some of the other things she has told us about what happened I understand even less.  Much of it was just silly and not possibly true, but then other parts, details are enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.  Right now, I only know that she is found, safe, and back to life as normal.  PRAISE THE LORD!   I on the other hand am forever changed.
What is the biggest miracle you have ever experienced?  I would love to hear from you.


post signature 








4 comments:

  1. The full story is worse than the abbreviated one you had previously shared! WOW! The final paragraph especially.

    Remember when M was admitted to the hospital at the age of 17 days? We didn't know she was in cardiac arrest at the time...we knew she was crying and had vomited...and we were lost on the way to the hospital (never been there before)...but she did get there in time to stop the damage to her body as the organs were beginning to shut down. AND despite what the dr said when we were discharged, we don't think she ever had another episode of SVT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. life is so fragile what we do without God.....thank u for the verses

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's still a powerful story, and not one to forget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just reread it this morning and thought I can't believe that this happened just a few months ago! I still get chills when I think about it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers