Search this blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

Vanilla Pear Granola



Granola doesn't last long around here and it is gets expensive to keep buying, so I wanted to try making it. I had NO idea how easy this stuff is to make!  I actually think I heard angels singing as I made it the first time!
If you have never made it before, you must try it!  So simple and tastes way better than any store bought I have ever eaten!

For this recipe, I used half of a fresh chopped pear.  I was a little concerned that it would create too much moisture, but it didn't (not that it mattered, the whole batch was gone in one day!)  If you are concerned about that though, try using dried pear pieces instead. 




In a large bowl mix together gluten free oats, quinoa, salt, cranberries, allergy friendly chocolate chips (I LOVE Enjoy Life Brand, they are a must try!)  In a small sauce pan heat up your coconut oil, honey and organic brown sugar.  Stir it until it resembles caramel syrup.  I actually did this part in the microwave, just checking and stirring it every 15 seconds or so.  Now stir in your vanilla.

Once you have your sweetener ready, dump half into the dry mix and stir.  Dump the remainder and mix until well blended.  Pour the whole lot out onto a cookie sheet.  I lined mine with foil to make for easy clean up and because my pans are pretty nasty.  I really need to get some new ones. Now bake it for about 30-35 minutes.  If you want small pieces stir it often.  If you like it chunky, don't stir it at all.


 My kids kept wandering into the kitchen while this was in the over to ask what smelled so good.  I had to fight them off once I finally pulled it out of the oven.  Once it was cool, they attacked it like a bunch of vultures!  I will most certainly be making this again!


Print This Recipe


Vanilla Pear Granola

Ingredients
  • 4 Cups Gluten Free Old Fashioned Oatmeal
  • 1 Cup Quinoa
  • 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
  • 1 Cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks
  • 1/2 Pear (roughly chopped)
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1/2 Cup Honey
  • 1/2 Cup Organic Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
Cooking Directions
  1.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
  3. In a small sauce pan heat coconut oil, honey and brown sugar. Stir until it is well mixed and resembles caramel sauce. Do not over cook.
  4. Stir is vanilla to the sauce pan.
  5. Pour half of the sweet mix into the dry ingredients and stir. Pour in the other half and mix well.
  6.  Dump mix onto a baking sheet and spread evenly.
  7. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until starting to turn light golden brown.  Note: if you don't want it chunky, stir it about every 10 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven and cool   

12 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds really good. Just pinned it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pinning. I hope you enjoy it Jennifer!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! You can't go wrong with pears and vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The flavors work so well together Nicole.

      Delete
  3. Yum! Thanks for linking up at The Makers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful flavor combinations! Thank you for sharing at the hop my friend xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Katherine. It is delicious together. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Meredith - Wow, that looks good. I make granola quite often, but I have never tried it with fresh fruit. Thanks so much for linking up with the Let's Get Real Party this week. I'm pinning this to our group Pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gaye! Yes I was a little worried about using the fresh fruit too, but it worked out fine. Not sure how it would do if you had to store it for any period of time, because it never seems to last long enough to store around here!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers