Search this blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Faith Journey #12 - Why Pray?

Welcome back to The Faith Journey. This Sunday series is about my faith walk, and the things the Lord is teaching me along the way. I am always so happy that you are here! I hope you will continue to join me on this journey and grow in your faith as well.
 
 
When teaching our children to pray, have you ever noticed that we often skip over the why and go straight to the how?  My 12 month old daughter is a prime example, as she will hold our hands while we pray and mimic the, "Amen" at the end.  While this is cute and ultimately important, it is equally important to teach your children the reason for prayer. 
If I am teaching it, I guess I need to understand it myself. 
 So why do we pray?
 
Prayer is simply a conversation between my Father and myself.  Just as I would share my thoughts and feelings with a cherished friend, I can share them with God.  Just as my friend cares for me and asks me about my thoughts, so does the Lord.  1 Peter 5:7 tells us "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  I can lay out my whole heart before Him.  I can do it silently or out loud, publicly or privately. I can give thanks for blessings, worship in adoration, pray in supplication or make confessions.  No matter what my purpose for the prayer, the fact remains that it draws me closer to God and reminds me that I am dependent on Him. " Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,"  Ephesians 3:20
 
Prayer also provides comfort, like strong arms wrapping around you in a warm embrace.  
Philippians 4:6-7 says " Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
 
The most important reason for why I pray is that Jesus prayed.  He set a clear example for us with His continual communication to the Father through prayer.  What more reason do I need? 
 
 
 
 
If you are not already, I would love it if you would follow me! 
 
 photo RSS-icon_zps89b62fa2.png  photo Pinterest-icon_zpsbec96c35.png  photo Facebook-icon_zps54787f04.png  photo Twitter-icon_zps6087bd91.png
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Love this! So true - we need to remember why, not just how! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna! I am so glad you found this meaningful!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers