Search this blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Virgin Diet - Week 1 Update and Tips for Survival

Well I am wrapping up week one of The Virgin Diet.  I am not going to lie.  It was brutal!  As your body detoxes all the processed foods and (H-I)High Intolerance foods symptoms begin to flair.  Imagine a drug addict going through withdraw.  That is a little what your body feels like.  Okay, I wasn't quite that bad, but the first week WAS full of headaches, dizziness, the shakes, and nausea.  My cravings were not out of control, but I did have them, especially around day 3-5.  I was surprised that they seemed to point more towards a problem with gluten and dairy.  Two that I had not really suspected to be problem foods for me.
 
The week wasn't all bad though, I did lose 5.5 lbs. (not the 7 advertised by the book though).  I actually woke this morning feeling like I had more energy, and have noticed that I am no longer coughing after every meal (something that I have done for as long as I can remember).  I no longer feel bloated and my digestive system appears to be working much better (at least for now).  So all this tells me I am on the right track!  This diet is tough, because you can not cheat...at all.  If you do, the symptoms will continue.  It takes the full 21 days to rid your body of all the H-I foods from your system.  I find myself struggling with little things like licking jelly off my finger after making my son a sandwich, or eating the crust off my daughters grilled cheese. 
This is a mental battle as much as it is a physical one, but for my health, I am trudging onward!
 
Here are a few things that helped me through the week:
 
* Stick as much as you can to the assigned eating times JJ lists in the book.  It will really help cut your hunger, and will keep you the most focused on the diet.
 
*Drink plenty of water! JJ says the minimum is 64 oz.  You will feel the biggest difference as a result of the water.  I got lazy with my water intake over the weekend, and that is really when my weight loss tapered off, so stick to that water plan!
 
*Plan to spend some time in the bathroom.  Let's just leave it at that.
 
*Using unsweetened vanilla coconut milk really improves the flavor of the shakes.  I personally had a hard time getting them down (texture issue) until I started to use this.  
 
*Try varying the temperature of your shakes.  I found I had a harder time drinking an icy cold shake.  I prefer to put fresh berries into mine.  I found I digested it much easier.  Others may prefer the icy cold shake over one that is warmer, so play with it and see what works for you.
 
*Try different types of protein powder.  I have not been using the one JJ sells, instead I am using a vegan RAW protein powder.   Just be sure to read the ingredients carefully to make sure it doesn't have any hidden ingredients in there.
 
  *Focus on the end game!  The only way to push through this first week is to remember WHY you are doing it. 
 
Please let me know if you are giving it a try!  We can support each other! :D
 
 
 
 
 
 
     I would love it if you would follow me!
 photo RSS-icon_zps89b62fa2.png  photo Pinterest-icon_zpsbec96c35.png  photo Facebook-icon_zps54787f04.png  photo Twitter-icon_zps6087bd91.png
post signature

1 comment:

  1. 5.5lbs - that's great! And yes! for more energy! I wouldn't survive all THAT - LOL, but I support you all the way through!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers