Search this blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

Mommom's Measurement Wall



As a little girl, one of my favorite things was to go visit my grandparents.  They lived right across the street from us and always welcomed us with open arms.  Most days my grandfather could be found puttering around the yard, or sleeping on the sofa.  My grandmother on the other hand was either in the kitchen cooking or up in her beloved sewing room.  
Since their door was rarely locked, I would often slip in the front door and run right up the steps to find my grandmother sitting at her sewing machine working on a project.  Piles of fabric would be strewn across the room and pins would be hanging out of her mouth.  Jumping up she would smile and say, "You are just the person I wanted to see!"  
Sometimes I would curl up in the overstuffed wing chair she had in the corner and just watch her work.  Other times she would call me over and allow me to help her with the measuring and cutting.  Occasionally she would put me up against the wall and mark off how tall I was, penciling in my initials and the date.  Part of my routine became checking myself against the wall to see if I was any bigger. 
When we moved into my grandmothers house several years ago, I was so excited to find the "measurement wall" was still there.  Not only did it have all of my own measurements, but also my brother, sister, and all of my cousins'.  Looking closer I realized at some point she had even marked off some of my children!  The wall was so full it wrapped around the corner and covered a second wall.    
As we have slowly renovated and updated this house, I have just left the measurement wall...in fact, I have added the rest of my children. The wall is dirty and unattractive, but it is a legacy of memories that my grandmother has left for her grandchildren and great grandchildren. I don't know if I will ever be able to cover it up.  To be able to go back and look at how tall I was at 10 years old, and compare it to how tall my son is at 10 is so very precious to me.  I am so grateful that my grandmother left this for me.

Do you have any special memories of your grandparents?  Would you share them with me?  Do you do anything that you hope will be a special memory for your own grandchildren?  I would love to hear about it! 

Thanks for hanging,
post signature







Linking up at Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop and Pin It Monday Hop




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers