Search this blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Whatever Goes Wednesday - 15 Fun Ideas for a Snow Day


It's Whatever Goes Wednesday and I wanted to share some pictures of our snowy world.  This winter has been so cold and we have had snow on the ground for months.  Now there is a nor'easter scheduled to hit our area this week too.  We haven't had a winter like this in several years, so my kids are loving it.  I can't really say the same for myself though...I am not a huge fan of being cold, I do love snow though.

This was baby's first time playing in the snow.  I had to drag her back in the house.  


All smiles and running from mom.



The boys had a great time putting together this snowman.  I was impressed that they even gave him buttons.  Maybe this weekend we will do some sledding.



Here are 15 other ideas for playing in the snow with your family.  

  1. Blow bubbles and watch them freeze to the wand.
  2. Make snow critters.  Use bits of sticks, leaves and stones to decorate them.
  3. Fill spray bottles with food coloring and water and go tie die the yard!
  4. Pull out your beach toys and build some snow castles.
  5. Play freeze tag.
  6. Make snow angels.
  7. Gather up some snow to make maple candy.  Simply warm some maple syrup and then pour a small amounts over the packed snow.  Allow to cool and then enjoy.
  8. Pull out the hula hoop.  It can be used as a target for snowballs, dive through it into the snow, or try actually hula hooping!  It is really hard with all of your snow gear on!
  9. Build a fort.
  10. Have a snowball fight.
  11. Make snow ice cream!  Paul Deen's Easy Snow Ice Cream 
  12. Hang up bird feeders and watch to see what comes to them.
  13. Make a giant tic-tac-toe board in the snow.  Use stones and sticks as your game pieces.
  14. Grab some card board and try making your own snow shoes.
  15. Make a snow volcano. Growing a Jeweled Rose shares how.


post signature

6 comments:

  1. I love the winter snow ideas here. Here is an idea when the kids are inside put snow in a big pot or water basin and the kids can have fun while watching what happens to snow inside a great science activity. I have done this with my preschool class using a water table just make sure you do it in a room that won't get harmed by a little water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Thanks for sharing it. As a homeschooling parent I am all about educational activities. :)

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! I didn't grow up where we had snow, but now live in Virginia where we get snow at least once a year. I always need ideas for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find them useful Angela. Hopefully you can find some here that your kids will enjoy. Mine really enjoy building forts. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, snow days are fun when you are young! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty - Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers