Search this blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Easy DIY Sidewalk Chalk Paint


 
The weather here on the East Coast has been a bit bi-polar lately.  We went from 30 degree weather one week to 80 degree the next, and then back down to the 50's.  We are ready for some steady warm weather! 
Anyway, one of our favorite outdoor activities is to play with our sidewalk chalk.  You can often find art work decorating my driveway, chalk scattered about the yard, and happy children covered in streaks of chalk dust.
A few weeks ago Perry picked up a piece of chalk from the grass.  It was wet from the rain we had had the night before.  As he started to draw with it, I was impressed at vivid the color.  It gave me an idea.  I wonder if I could turn this chalk into a paint?
I grabbed a broken piece and crushed it into a powder.  (We found later it was easier to do this if chalk was wet.)  I put it into a bowl and poured about 2 TBSP of water into it and mixed it up.   You can add more or less water depending on how much chalk powder you have.  If you make this, I would recommend placing your chalk in a Ziploc bag and using a hammer or mallet to crush it.
We made purple and green.  Using over sized preschool paint brushes the kids painted on the drive way.  Rather than the normal pictures, they practiced making letters.
I was surprised by how much fun they had doing this.  The kids keep asking me to make them more.  I am sure this will be something we will be doing again pretty soon.
*TIP - If you live someplace were sidewalk chalk is not allowed, try giving your child a glass of water and large paint brush. Kids will love playing with the water, and can make pictures without marking up your driveway, porch, or deck.  :)



post signature








Linking up at: 
Whatever Goes Wednesday,  Too Cute Tuesday, www.pursuitoffunctionalhome.comThursday Favorite Things Blog Hop

4 comments:

  1. That is such a fantastic idea! love it...

    I'm a new follower.

    xoxo,
    Khloe
    www.kgstyleblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Khloe,
    Thank you! Glad you like it. I just fell in love with the bright color it created. I am following you now too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very creative and wonderful art. Thank you for sharing this idea. Awesome and perfect for the kids. We also did a Homemade Sidewalk Paint out of the same materials you used. You should check this out!
    EarlyLearning.Momtrusted.com Homemade Sidewalk Paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen,
      Thanks for visiting! I just checked out your post. I love how simple it is to make your own paint. I see many fun filled summer days ahead. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers