Search this blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Faith Journey #18 - Being a Proverbs 31 Woman Vs. 12

Welcome back to The Faith Journey. This Sunday series is about my faith walk, and the things the Lord is teaching me along the way. I am always so happy that you are here! I hope you will continue to join me on this journey and grow in your faith as well.


Proverbs 31:12
"She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life." (NIV)

"Never spiteful, she treats him generously
    all her life long." (The Message)

This weekend was so beautiful!  The spring like weather was so motivating and so I spent all day Saturday getting some deep cleaning done.  I also took advantage of the sudden burst of energy and ran a HUGE load of donations out to Goodwill.  I have a small tendency to hoard things, so anytime I drop a load off like that my Hubby does a happy dance.  It pleases me to make him happy.  When I choose to do something that I know he will be glad about, I feel a deep sense of joy.  I said "when I choose to", because if I do it out of a sense of obligation, there isn't that same joy (for him or me).  
The Proverbs 31 woman does everything willing, not out of obligation, but because she chooses to serve him  with great joy. This is one of the reasons that she is so valuable to him as we discussed last week.  

Not only is she good to him, she isn't spiteful to him.  Have you ever been talking to a girlfriend and she is sharing all the reasons why her husband is a burden to her?  Maybe you are that woman.  I know there have definitely been times that I have caught myself saying some rather unflattering things about my husband.  Often even as I am saying them, I am thinking "stop talking, Meredith" and yet somehow the words just keep vomiting from the void which is my mouth.

How many times have you heard your own voice screeching out your demands to your husband, or nagging and disrespecting him?  I know that I am guilt of all of the above.  This is something I have to pray about on a regular basis.  I want him to feel like he can trust me and be himself with me.  He works hard and comes home to a house full of crazy wound up kids.  Instead of giving him a "honey do list", I should be pampering him and honoring him with my love and respect.  This is where the homework I gave you last week comes into play.  Every day this week make a mental effort to show your spouse an act of love.  All of those things you have been thinking about doing for him...start putting them into practice.  Make him a special dinner, write him a love note, or surprise him at work and take him out to lunch.  Think about your husband.  What would be something he would appreciate.  If you aren't sure...ask him.  "Honey, what can I do for you that would show you love?"  

Now that you are thinking about how you can be good to your husband, attempt to do this in everything you are doing.  When you start to grumble; stop, think, pray.  This isn't going to be an easy task.  Finding joy in everything we do is difficult.  Start small, moment by moment, prayer by prayer.  We will improve little by little.  I will support and pray for you and I ask that you do the same for me.

If you have missed the rest of this Proverbs series, you can read them at the following links.
post signature

2 comments:

  1. such an adult pose for this wee miss !
    darling.. and what might God's perfecting look like for her life ahead ... ?
    beautiful moments ahead for you =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers