Search this blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Helpful Tips for Soothing Eczema.



Out of the corner of my eye I can see Baby scratching at her belly again.  Looking over at her I notice she has lain down, but is rubbing her shoulders back and forth across the crib sheets.  It reminds me of a bear scratching up against a tree trunk.  This is nothing new to me.  Eczema is something that all of my children have dealt with, so I am not really surprised to see it pop up once again.  They all get it honest.  My husband has suffered with it since he was a child as well.   Needless to say we have become quite adapt at dealing with it.

What is it?

Eczema is a skin condition causing dry, swollen, red, and itchy skin.  Sometimes spots may be hard and flaky as well.


What causes it?

Eczema can be caused by any number of things.  It could be from something the skin has come in contact with, or from something that was ingested, as with food intolerance.  Heat, sweat, and dirt can also make it flame up.


How can you treat it?

* Use a hypoallergenic laundry soup such as All Free Clear or Arm and Hammer For Sensitive Skin.  You can also throw in a cup of white vinegar to help kill any allergens.  Do not use fabric softener.
* Use a mild soap on the skin such as Aveeno Baby Wash or Dove Beauty Bar: Sensitive Skin.  For more serious cases use Cetaphil RESTORADERM Skin Restoring Body Wash.
* Use a hypoallergenic sunscreen.  I use Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple Lotion SPF 50 Sunscreen on the kids and Coppertone Sensitive Skin Lotion SPF 50 Sunscreen for my husband and myself.  Another one that has been highly recommended to me was Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen.
* Pay attention to what is being eaten.  Does anything seem to make it worse?  For my family it is dairy, strawberries and tomatoes that always seem to cause it to flair the most. 
* Keep the area clean.  Sweat and dirt can inflame it more.
* Apply a clean, cold compress to inflamed areas.  Heat can also make it worse.
* Soak in some Aveeno Bath Treatment.
* Try applying some Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment to the area before bed.
* Apply some 1% Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch Cream to help soothe the itchy spots.  (Talk to your doctor before using).

Try these tips, and you should be feeling much better in no time.

 ***Disclaimer - I am not a doctor, and all suggestions are just that, suggestions based off of what has worked for my own family and friends.




     I would love it if you would follow me! 
 photo RSS-icon_zps89b62fa2.png  photo Pinterest-icon_zpsbec96c35.png  photo Facebook-icon_zps54787f04.png  photo Twitter-icon_zps6087bd91.png

Sharing this at Pin It Monday Hop
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith, I think, you have a wonderful blog! I have nominated you for a Liebster Award. All the info here: http://camillaandroman.blogspot.com/2013/06/blog-love-liebster.html
    Of course, you don't have to accept it. I hope that you'd do because I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you Laura! That is so sweet! I will be over to check out your post! :)

      Delete
  2. Meredith thanks for the sunscreen options! Our favorite sensitive skin one has been discontinued and I was looking for something else! Thanks for three great choices! Found you from the Pin It hop, following you on twitter, but love your blog, adding you on G+ too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers