Search this blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Being a Proverbs 31 Woman vs. 20 "Servanthood" - The Faith Journey #27

Being a Proverbs 31 Woman vs. 20 "Servanthood" - The Faith Journey #27  @atipicalday #Faith #devotional #servanthood #servingothers #actsofkindness

"She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; Yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy." - Proverbs 31:20 (ASV)

I would like to believe that there is no challenge in this verse for me.  I would like to believe that I do have a servants heart and that I give willingly and freely of my time and energy to those less fortunate than myself.  I would like to believe it...but is it true?  

When I was in college we did a service project called "Random Acts of Kindness"  We would break up into groups and head out around the community to do these acts.  Sometimes our task might be to go to a gas station with a bucket, soap and sponge and offer to clean the bathrooms.  Sometimes it was taking a bag of quarters and leaving them in the slots of washers and dryers at a dry cleaners.  One time we even went to a grocery store and helped to return carts for the shoppers.  There was no big grand gesture in any of this.  In fact, most of the time we didn't even see the result of our service or get thanked.  It was about having compassion for others and doing little things to show it.  That is what service is about.  Doing little things to help those that may be less fortunate than yourself.  Maybe it is just blessing someone for no real reason.


Once while dining out, our waitress brought us a check.  She was almost in tears as she laid it on the table.  "The couple that was sitting behind you said that you have such a sweet family.  They were impressed by how well behaved the children all are, and want to make your burden a little lighter today.  They paid for your meal.  They made me wait to tell you until they left."  
I had had my back to the couple and never saw them, but the gift they gave us was so moving that even now I get choked up thinking about it.  We had chosen to go out to dinner, so paying the bill wasn't really an issue, but it was such a blessing that someone we had never met, or even seen in my case, wanted to do something nice for us. Yes, being a servant is about stretching out your hands to those less fortunate than yourself, but never make the mistake of thinking you know who is needy.  Each of us has some pain or burden that we carry making us all needy in some way.  You never know how your kindness to someone else could help or encourage them.

For your challenge this week, try to do at least one kind thing for someone every day.  It could be something as simple as handing the poor mother in the checkout line in front of you the spare change needed for her purchase.  If you want to do something a little bigger maybe try volunteering at a shelter or food kitchen.  It doesn't really matter, just do something kind for someone else outside of your family. 

Have you ever been a recipient of an Act of Kindness?  How did it effect you?


Read the rest of the Proverbs 31 series here.


2 comments:

  1. Great reminder. I believe that good deeds ripples: Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness.
    Every act creates a ripple with no logical end. - Scott Adams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Paula! Thanks for sharing it here! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today. I love hearing from you! Please leave me a little note to say hi! :)

AddThis

AddThis Smart Layers